1. Bible Time– Right now we’re using this book (ok, well I can’t find it online.. but I’ll try to take a picture later and post it). The stories are really simple and the boys enjoy listening to the stories. It comes with a DVD of the stories being read to the pictures in the book and then there is a song after it that goes along with the story. They also like learning new songs about the stories too! I’m also hoping to purchase The Jesus Storybook Bible. Hopefully we can get it for later in the year! We will also be continuing Scripture memory (link below) to go along with our letter of the week.
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.”
2. Letter of the Week- Yep, we are continuing the letter of the week. We’re still mainly focusing on the Uppercase. We should finish the upper case right before Christmas and we’ll start the lower case in January. We will be using Kumon Uppercase and Lowercase workbooks along with all of the fun activities I use online. We’ll be reading lots of books that goes along with our letter projects. Here are some of the things I use online:
Totally Tots – Alphabet Crafts
Totally Tots – ABC Scripture Memory
(I also highly recommend Song’s for Saplings that go along with Totally Tots Scripture memory… my boys LOVE it!)
Confessions of a Homeschooler – I get lots of ideas and do many downloads from her site!
ABC and 123 – Again, tons of ideas!
Mama Jenn – More and more ideas…
Ok, I could go on and on! There are so many great resources but these are a great place to start!
3. Math/Science- We’ll start off the year doing Kumon Numbers 1-30 and go from there. I always incorporate math and science into our activities. We learn about different animals, places, etc along with our letter of the week. We count and sort and sequence and take away and add. It really is amazing what you can tie in! For instance this week we will be talking about our sense of taste and smell! Lemons anyone? We’ve also talked made ladybugs and counted spots, legs, etc.
4. Other skills, etc. We’ll be working on mazes for pencil skills and lots of scissor work too! Of course we’ll be in the kitchen a lot! And thank goodness the weather will be cooling off soon! He’s four. I’m not stressing. He will learn as we live. And most importantly I want him to know God. So… that leads me to our last and newest addition:
5. House Rules and Character Traits: We are using Gregg Harris’ 21 Rules of This House. I love each one of them and they will be good for the Hubs and I to remember as well! We will be going over one a week and reading Scripture that goes along with them during family time. I’ll be incorporating these Character Qualities during the day as well. We’ll just talk about them as we go about our day.. nothing formal. Also on my list is the the Westminster Shorter Catechism and the Ten Commandments. All of these things can be woven into daily life.